Hearing Aids/Assistive Listening Equipment/Telecommunication Equipment

Q.Do you have a hearing aid program?
A. Nexus does not have a hearing aid program. There are two places where you can get your hearing tested and an evaluation of the best hearing aid for you at a low cost or free:

  • Spokane Falls Community College has a Hearing Instrument Specialist Program – (509) 533-4326
  • EWU/University Hearing and Speech Clinic – (509) 828-1323

These entities have hearing aid assistance programs:

Q. How can I get a captioned telephone or TTY?
A. You can apply for telecommunications equipment through the Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing website or pick up a form from Nexus.

Q. How can I get assistive listening devices?
A. Deaf or hard of hearing patrons can temporarily borrow assistive listening equipment at no charge from Nexus. View the ALD page for more details. Equipment can also be purchased through Nexus. See our products page for more details.



Q. Do you provide captioning services?

A. We do not, however here are some great contacts for those that do Captioning in the area.

Barbara Silvey
Spokane, WA

Liz Collier, CCR
Puyallup, WA

Kasey Manning, 253.709.9308
CART Provider. Greater Seattle, Tacoma
Specializing in onsite and remote educational CART.
Over six years experience.

Vanessa Stanton, CCR
Stanton Captioning and Reporting
Vancouver, WA 98682
(360) 606-4228
Email: vcstanton29(at)clear.net
CART Provider for Vancouver, WA and Oregon.

Interpreter Services

Q. How can I request an interpreter?
A. You can request an interpreter through Request Interpreter, or call/email the Interpreter Services Coordinator.

Q. How much does it cost for an interpreter?
A. Please contact the Interpreter Coordinator  for our current pricing.

Q.  Is there any financial assistance to cover the cost of interpreters?
A. Yes, at times we have special grants that allow us to assist in the expense for interpreters. Please contact the Interpreter Coordinator.

Community Events

Q. When does the Hearing Loss Association meet?
A. The Spokane chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America (HLAA) meets on the second Saturday of every month from September to June at Nexus, 1206 N. Howard. Spokane, WA 99201. They can be contacted at hlaspokane(at)gmail.com

Q. What deaf events are happening in my local area?
A. Check out our newsletter and upcoming events page.  Be sure to check back often.

Q. Do you have sign language classes?
A. Yes we do offer sign language classes throughout the year.  If you are interested in signing up for the classes, please send an email to info(at)nexusinw.com to have your name put on the waiting list.     

Federal/State Laws

Q. Where can I find more information on laws about when interpreters should be provided for deaf individuals?
A. The American Disability Act website is www.ada.gov  
Other regulations can be found here: http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/titleIII_2010/titleIII_2010_regulations.pdf

Q. Can a medical provider bill me for the interpreter costs?
A. No.

Q. I am deaf and a family member has passed away, is the funeral home required to provide interpreters?
A. Yes, Funeral Homes are considered “Places of Public Accommodation”; these responsibilities are addressed in Title I and Title III of the American’s with Disabilities Act.  Funeral Homes must provide interpreters and other auxiliary aids free of charge.  If you need help talking about this to a funeral home, please contact the Interpreter Services Coordinator.

Q. I need to attend a court hearing, who is responsible for providing an interpreter?
A. The court is responsible for providing an interpreter.  For more information, please see page 18 & 19 of the Ensuring Equal Access for People with Disabilities pamphlet.


For Idaho residents, please contact the Idaho Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing http://www.cdhh.idaho.gov/

Q. Does a medical provider have to provide an interpreter for me?
A. Yes, please go to the National Association of the Deaf website for more information. 

Q. What do state and federal laws say regarding my rights?
A. Here are some helpful links:


Getting Involved

Q. How can I volunteer at the center?
A. Please contact us at (509) 328-9220 or email info(at)nexusINW.com.   You will be asked to fill out a form and a background check before we can let you begin volunteering at the center.

Q. What if I want to contribute to the center?
A.  There are different ways to contribute.  You may become a volunteer, a board member, or donate funds to the center.  Please contact us at (509) 328-9220 or info(at)nexusINW.com.