Frequently Asked Questions

Hearing Aids

Q. Do you have a hearing aid program?
A. Nexus does not have a hearing aid program. There are two places where you can get your hearing tested and an evaluation of the best hearing aid for you at a low cost or free:
Spokane Falls Community College has a Hearing Instrument Specialist Program – (509) 533-4326
EWU/University Hearing and Speech Clinic – (509) 828-1323
These entities have hearing aid assistance programs:
Spokane chapter of the Lion’s Club (509) 328-6900, 1212 N Howard St, Spokane, WA 99201
Starkey Foundation (866) 354-3254
Gift of Hearing Foundation (617) 661-HEAR


Q. Do you provide captioning services?
A. We do not, however here are some great contacts for those that do Captioning in the area.
Barbara Silvey
[email protected]
Spokane, WA
Liz Collier, CCR
Puyallup, WA
[email protected]
Kasey Manning, 253.709.9308
CART Provider. Greater Seattle, Tacoma
Specializing in onsite and remote educational CART.
Over six years’ experience.
[email protected]
Vanessa Stanton, CCR
Stanton Captioning and Reporting
Vancouver, WA 98682
(360) 606-4228
[email protected]
CART Provider for Vancouver, WA and Oregon.


Q. How can I request an interpreter?
A. You can request an interpreter through Request Interpreter, or call/email the Interpreter Services Coordinator.

Q. How much does it cost for an interpreter?
A. Please contact the Interpreter Coordinator for our current pricing.

Q. Is there any financial assistance to cover the cost of interpreters?
A. Yes, at times we have special grants that allow us to assist in the expense for interpreters. Please contact the Interpreter Coordinator.


Q. What deaf events are happening in my local area?
A. Check out our newsletter and upcoming events page. Be sure to check back often.
Q. Do you have sign language classes?
A. Yes, we do offer sign language classes throughout the year. If you are interested in signing up for the classes, please send an email to [email protected] to have your name put on the waiting list.

Federal/State Laws

Q. Where can I find more information on laws about when interpreters should be provided for deaf individuals?
A. The American Disability Act website is
Other regulations can be found here:
Q. Can a medical provider bill me for the interpreter costs?
A. No.
Q. I am deaf and a family member has passed away, is the funeral home required to provide interpreters?
A. Yes, Funeral Homes are considered “Places of Public Accommodation”; these responsibilities are addressed in Title I and Title III of the American’s with Disabilities Act. Funeral Homes must provide interpreters and other auxiliary aids free of charge. If you need help talking about this to a funeral home, please contact the Interpreter Services Coordinator.
Q. I need to attend a court hearing, who is responsible for providing an interpreter?
A. The court is responsible for providing an interpreter. For more information, please see page 18 & 19 of the Ensuring Equal Access for People with Disabilities pamphlet.

For Idaho residents, please contact the Idaho Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

Idaho Council for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Q. Does a medical provider have to provide an interpreter for me?
A. Yes, please go to the National Association of the Deaf website for more information.
Q. What do state and federal laws say regarding my rights?
A. Here are some helpful links:


Q. How can I volunteer at the center?
A. Please contact us at (509) 328-9220 or email [email protected]. You will be asked to fill out a form and a background check before we can let you begin volunteering at the center.
Q. What if I want to contribute to the center?
A. There are different ways to contribute. You may become a volunteer, a board member, or donate funds to the center. Please contact us at (509) 328-9220 or [email protected].